My diary as I start a BSc degree with the Open University, alongside job hunting and dealing with my ongoing depression.

Tuesday 9 January 2018

Very Simply Water


Dear Diary,

Although my course doesn't start until the 27th January I've already jumped into the parts of the module that has opened to us already as I said in S111 Questions in Science. I completed the very through introduction and moved onto Topic 1, Part 1 What is Water, but not before I did the poll they set us asking;

Can you make a hole in water? 

I chose as my answer;

Water is already full of ‘holes’ but they are so tiny that you can’t see them.

But I could have chosen from;

I would just freeze the water first and then chip or melt a hole in the ice.
Any object you drop in water will make a hole in it, even if the object floats and only makes a small hole.
What do you mean by a hole in water?
I would blow bubbles of air through the water.
I would create a whirlpool.
Other  

I would be interested here to see what you think the answer to the poll would be, drop me a note in the comments and I'll let you know how many others on my course agree with you, and what the actual answer is when the poll closes.

In the mean time a few bits of information I've learnt so far, baring in mind this is an introduction to science and as such starts with fairly basic points, I heard mention that they don't even assume you have GCSE science when starting this course so they literally start from scratch.

These points are directly from the notes I have taken;

What is water made of.

  • Water is made of molecules consisting of two elements, hydrogen and oxygen. This is referred to as a compound because it contains two different elements.
  • There are two hydrogen atoms to one oxygen atom.

How can molecular structure be represented.

  • When chemists want to represent a molecule they can use different types of model, one being a space saving model where the atoms are represented by filled circles (or spheres in a 3D model) joined together with no space between them and the other being a ball and stick model where the bonds are represented by rods connecting each element.
Top - Space saver model. Bottom - Ball and stick model
Chemical Formulas.

  • The chemical formula of water is HOH is hydrogen of which there are two atoms. O is oxygen of which there is only one atom.
  • Each element has its own symbol to represent it, but there are more elements than letters in the alphabet. So, some have one letter to represent them and others have two. Examples being H for hydrogen and Ca for calcium.
  • Chemical symbols always start with a capital letter, the second letter is always lowercase.
  • Symbols are derived from the chemicals English, Latin, Greek and German names. An example being K for potassium from its Latin name Kalium.
  • To classify the elements, they are organised into a table called the periodic table.
  • Mendeléev first organised the elements together in columns according to common chemical properties, with the heaviest at the bottom and the lightest at the top. His table had gaps, but he was able to predict the qualities of these unknown elements due to the qualities of the surrounding elements.

I'll admit to being apprehensive about posting this, it very nearly didn't make it because I'm not sure about it. The information is correct, but I'm dubious about the layout and way I've collated it. 

Are bullet points the best or would people rather read it in sentences/paragraphs, is this too basic to post or would you rather read something more complicated. In which case that might take a while before I can write anything, because as I said, this course is starting off by covering the very basics first. 

All these questions I have, you'd think I had no self esteem at all.
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Hello! So I stumbled across your blog because I was looking for information about S111 which I'm starting in October. I have taken a few courses as prep. so I'm not 'that' worried about it ... most days, and then other days I'm full of crippling self-doubt :)
    Anyway, I think all of the answers are correct, even the one about, "What do you mean by a hole in water?" The question is so vague, I don't think it would be incorrect to ask for further info. As for the rest, it doesn't say the temperature cannot be changed. Yes, we have ice as the name for frozen water but it is still, in essence, frozen water. I think I like the whirlpool idea best but then you could also use electromagnetic forces. Basically, I think it's a trick question to see what kind of scientific mind you have. This is where you tell me I'm completely wrong and the answer is, "Other - No you can't - you idiot!"
    As for the bullets, you seem like a perfectionist. I like that term more than low self esteem for this case. I have it too. I found the bullets clear and I think they would have worked just as well with dashes, sentences, different colours, whatever.
    How was S111 for you in the end?

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig